NATIONAL INDEPENDENCE FESTIVAL OF CREATIVE ARTS (NIFCA) 2022
ADULT FILM/VIDEO COMPETITION
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Persons wishing to enter the NIFCA Film/Video competition shall be:
i. Citizens of Barbados or
ii. Legally resident in Barbados.
2. ENTRY TO THE COMPETITION
- To enter the NIFCA Film/Video competition, persons must complete the prescribed online entry form providing all required information and submit it by 4.00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 25th, 2022.
- Entries should be submitted along with a copy of the Film/Video entry form on a flash drive/memory stick by 4.00 p.m. on Thursday, October 27th, 2022.
- Entries must be enclosed in an envelope addressed to NIFCA 2022 Film & Video Entry, National Cultural Foundation, West Terrace, St. James.
- Entry to the competition is open to individuals or groups. All group entries must be signed by the designated leader of the group.
3. RULES OF THE COMPETITION
a) All entries shall be original work filmed in Barbados.
b) Permission should be sought for use of copyrighted music.
c) The work to be judged shall not have been entered in whole or in part in any previous NIFCA competition or exhibition;
d) Each participant is allowed a maximum of two entries.
e) Films/Videos can be made using any technique that is suitable for the upload of film entries to a flash drive/memory stick.
f) Any person who makes a submission or participates in this competition thereby agrees to indemnify the NCF from any actions, proceedings, claims, liabilities, costs, demands, or expenses arising from any act, omission, breach of contract, negligence or other fault of that person in connection with said submission or participation. In particular, the NCF shall not be liable for any actions, proceedings, claims, liabilities, costs, demands, expenses or complaints from any person(s) depicted in the competition entries, should these be used for screening purposes.
g) Unless specific written notice is given to the contrary, the NCF reserves the right to print and screen 30 – 60 seconds of film/video and any accompanying information for promotional purposes;
h) Production credits must be included on film/video entries.
- A panel of Judges shall be selected for the adjudication of the competition;
- The NCF shall determine the composition of the panel of judges and shall appoint a member of the panel to be Chief Judge;
- The NCF reserves the right not to award prizes where the entries do not merit such.
- The words “film” and “video” are used interchangeably; the principle is “a moving picture”, whether it is shot using a video or a motion picture camera, a tablet or a mobile phone device;
- Film/Video content can relate to aspects of the economic, cultural and social reality of Barbados, for example: education, health, housing, cultural heritage, cities, work, justice, security, government, social inclusion or exclusion, race, ethnicity, environment, monuments and public space – without prejudice to intellectual, artistic, conceptual, philosophical and poetic considerations;
- Entries can also be creative works of the imagination (i.e. completely fiction).
Any of the following areas may be selected by the competitor:
a) MUSIC VIDEO
b) NARRATIVE FICTION – a film story, a work of the
a) Long Fiction: 30 minutes – 75 minutes
b) Short Fiction: 2 minutes – 30 minutes
Any of the following genres of fiction may be selected:
1. Comedy 4. Thriller
2. Musical drama (not a concert) 5. Romance
3. Historical 6. Action.
c) DOCUMENTARY (Non-fiction scripted and produced film/video)
a) Long Documentary: 30 minutes – 75 minutes
b) Short Documentary: 2 minutes – 30 minutes
Entries in any animation style are encouraged:
2D, 3D, StopMotion /Claymation, Cut Out Animation, and Motion Graphics.
1. The following prizes may be awarded in each category:
1st Prize: $1000
2nd Prize: $700
3rd Prize: $500
7. JUDGING CRITERIA
TECHNICAL QUALITY 30 points
Brightness, Contrast, Colour,
TECHNIQUE 30 points
Direction, Continuity, Camera Technique
(editing, composition), Production Design
CONTENT 20 points
Adherence to Theme, Concept, Style
ORIGINALITY/CREATIVITY 20 points
Uniqueness/Difference of Treatment,
Approach to Subject Matter
The deadline for delivery of completed online film/video entry forms is Tuesday 25th October, 2022.
The deadline for submission of entries on memory stick to the National Cultural Foundation is Thursday, October 27th, 2022.
General queries should be directed to the Film Commissioner at telephone no: 417-6644 or mobile no: 243-5294 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org