The National Cultural Foundation
St. James, Barbados
At a press conference held on August 1 at the National Cultural Foundation Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office Dr. Shantal Munro Knight revealed that the NCF would be engaging the public by way of an Independent survey.
At the time, the Minister explained that the survey is being commissioned in order to make the Festival more inclusive and generate public discourse. The Ministry and NCF are now in receipt of the survey data.
Minister Dr. Munro Knight has thanked all who participated in the survey and offered invaluable input that will help shape our way forward.
“Having promised to get back you, I am now pleased to share with the public key results coming out of the Crop Over Festival Grand Kadooment survey. It was a valuable and informative exercise that helps us as we go to the drawing board and conceptualise what Crop Over 2023 will look like”, Minister Dr. Munro Knight said.
The initial stakeholder engagement for the Crop Over festival began first with the Grand Kadooment event through an online survey which was distributed through direct links on WhatsApp, Email Marketing, NCF Social Media pages, Direct texting service, calls to stakeholders and promoted via social and traditional media namely newspaper, radio, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
The survey targeted three Grand Kadooment stakeholder groups: spectators, masqueraders and vendors and covered a broad review of the stakeholders’ assessment of the Crop Over climax event.
Majority of the respondents who are between the ages of 18 and 44 and female, said they were notified and kept abreast of Crop Over happenings via the Internet. The respondents were mostly Barbadian with input from people of the region, United States, Canada and Britain.
The intent was to garner the overall experience of each group. Included in the survey were questions surrounding the participation of each group in both the 2022 and previously held Grand Kadooment events. Of the responses the breakdown of the stakeholders are as follows: 57.24% were masqueraders, 36.65% were spectators, 6.11% were vendors.
All stakeholders responded extremely positively to participating in the event again and weighted their overall experience with the event 6.80, 5.96, 5.57 out of 10 respectively.
Masqueraders, inclusive of revellers from all the NCF-registered bands, participated. 47.84% of those who jumped for Crop Over 2022 gave their experience a five-star rating, 34.90% four star, 12.16% three star, 3.53% two star and 1.57% one star.
Respondents who did not take part in this year’s events cited pandemic fears, financial reasons due to the price of costumes and flights and length of the route as major factors.
The Grand Kadooment Sweet Lime and After Party was a hit with the majority of respondents calling for its return next year. When asked if to keep the event which was staged at Botannical Gardens, 83.86% said yes while 16.14% said no.
As it relates to the event and route here is a sample of what was said under “Thoughts or suggestions for future Grand Kadooment events”.
Responses as received:
Minister Dr. Munro Knight further stated: “This is only the beginning of our stakeholder contributions. We now have to have to meet with other festival stakeholders for further consultations as we begin planning for the 2023 Crop Over Festival”. (PR)
Written by: Info NCF